Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Calming Chants

f34ac488230f5725bbbf8e646f19dd3e--ong-guru.jpg (227×222)
"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace, you are living in the present."
-Lao Tzu
When we first began our Kundalini journey, we were taught a chant by our teacher: Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo. She then explained that it meant to bow to the teacher inside of you while being open to your own infinite wisdom and creativity. She sang this chant to us to begin and end every practice, and it resonated with me. I took the time to listen to other yogis chanting the phrase, and each had their own unique style which I really liked. 

After the first three weeks of Kundalini, I found myself, either in my head or aloud, chanting Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo to help calm me or just get me through a rough moment. It was comforting to know I had something to fall back on when there was nothing physical to. I also tried chanting it in an effort to fall asleep on restless nights- not that it always worked. It is a process and experience that needs to be repeated often for a true effect. 

The act of tuning in both in and out of yoga class has helped me center myself. It allows my breath to flow easier and my mind to slow down for a time when before it was on an accelerating treadmill. I plan on continuing to practice this mantra even after we switch into restorative yoga, as well as search into others, like Sat Nam. My mind and nerves has definitely benefited from this.

Citations:
“Crystals.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.com/pin/327707310373192523/.






1 comment:

  1. Joelle,

    I was scared to teach you this mantra. But in order to be true to the practice, I had to. It is often hard for me as a teacher to bring things that might be considered weird. So to read this, I am reminded that these "weird" things that I know are really important for me to share.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete